Monday 6 October 2014

Back to school with Domino

Hello, my name is Domino and I have been at the centre for three years. Before I came to The Pegasus Centre, I was with Etal RDA Group, so consider myself to be a very experienced RDA pony.
If you regularly read this blog then you will know that I went with Gilly and Midnight to the RDA National Championships in July and we all had a very succesful trip. This reminds me that I now have the opportunity to clear up a couple of things that were incorrectly reported by Gilly and Midnight in their posts. They both said that I attempted to bite them in the horsebox on the way home. This is not true, however, I did try and eat hay from their nets but Laura soon put a stop to that!
The other point I would like to make is about the fuss Midnight made over a pink rug that she felt belonged to her. Just to be clear, it is very difficult fastening rug straps with hooves, therefore it was actually Emily who chose to put the rug on me.  So, there are the facts... straight from the horse's mouth!  
Midnight and Domino (wearing the pink rug!)
We provide RDA riding lessons for children from schools in Northumberland and Newcastle during the week. When a new school term starts, teachers will often bring a different group of children who have not been to the centre before. We usually have six children riding in each session.
Ian, aged 7, came for his first lesson at the beginning of September and rode me. He was a bit nervous to start with but soon relaxed and really enjoyed the lesson. If it is a sunny day we will go for a ride around the farm where the centre is based. The children usually ride the pony they are most suited to for the whole term.
This is a picture of Ian riding me. We are on our way for a ride out and I am being lead by Morpeth RDA Group Chairman, Malcolm Haigh. As Chairman, Malcolm has many important duties at the centre, but I think being in charge of a pony and rider is the most important role of all.   
We make our way past the indoor school and stables...
and the teachers will often come and walk with us as we make our way up the track.
We go all the way to the bottom of the field then head back to the indoor school.
Malcolm will point out things of interest to the children as we ride around the farm.
We return to the indoor school for the children to dismount. In just a few weeks Ian has learnt many new skills since he started riding. In the picture above, Ian sits up straight and makes me stop by pulling on the reins. He can also steer me around a course of cones down the centre of the school off the lead.
Ian always has a big smile on his face when he gives me a hug after riding.

Gilly and Midnight say I can be grumpy but hugs from children will always make me happy!   

   


No comments:

Post a Comment